Friday, May 1, 2009

What Drives Me, Drives Me Crazy!

First of all, I would like to apologies for my absence from the blog world as it has been nearly a month since my last post. As you may imagine, I have been rather busy. I'm not here to make up excuses, I'm just here to write, once again.

During my freshman year of high school, we were asked to produce a project about "what drive us." Basically, we had to make a slide show for the class accompanied with our description of what we were passionate about. Essentially, it came down to what our future career choices might be, what we like to do in our free time, and generally just what makes us want to wake up every morning. Throughout high school and now college, I have had a growing interest of mass media, not only the production of it but also the consumption. I have recently discovered, that while the aspects of mass media may drive me, they also drive me completely crazy.

During a class discussion today, revolving around a documentary questioning the innocence of Disney films, I felt suffocated. I had an intensifying desire to stand up and walk out of class amid the discussion. I won't get into specific details but what amazes me is how driven people are by their personal opinions. Another instance of this occurred when another professor of mine reviewed a rough draft that I produced this past week. I was outraged to see what she had written on what I had believed were well crafted pages.

How can anyone stare blankly into your face and tell you that you are wrong because their opinion is right?!? Its called an opinion because there is no right or wrong answer! This allows people to have different views on the subject. What also puzzles me, is how the hell you can grade someone based on opinion? I did the research and my opinion is based upon what I read. You on the other hand, have read similar materials and have developed a different opinion. Of course, this must mean that I should start over and write my entire paper based on your opinion. This is preposterous!

As you can tell, certain things have been getting under my skin lately. I'm sorry if I sound angry or if you disagree with me. I have digressed. I would like to return to the class discussion. Why is it that every fucking discussion seems to relate back to racism, sexism, or some kind of ism that is negative towards others? Is this the only issue concerning people? Come on, get with the times! We are all just people, we have the same genetic parts. There is nothing that makes us different other than the thoughts and feelings we have. Therefore, we should all just be accepting of each other for who we are. It goes much deeper, beyond ethnicity or gender or sexual orientation.

In a broader sense, we just need to accept the individuality of others. Maybe it lies within the self. If we could all just get in touch with our inner self and accept ourselves for who we are, then maybe we can be accepting of everyone else. This is just what I believe. Feel free to tell me about yourself, you can admit anything at all. I won't judge you. I promise.

May you ignore the intolerance of society and accept yourself and others,
J.F.Q.

0 comments: